Friday 2 July 2010

Unused Campaign 1: Centrestone Cult (Poster)




























































One thing I've always wanted to do and I still may do in the future is a project based on a fictional cult I create. But to have me as the prophet-like leader would be way to egocentric, as amusing as it would be for me. I've always had a secret interest in cults, cult-like groups and religions and also films based on cults such as 'The Wicker Man'. In fact I find them fascinating. Primitive, naive nature still lingering in the modern world, armies and factions being brainwashed and created for one purpose; to wreak havoc is something that wows me. This project gave me a chance to give this a very small attempt at this so I created this poster and planned a fictional campaign to try and get people to follow this cult I created. There was a certain theme I would've gone for if going through with this campaign. Old fashioned nature would require an old fashioned representation of my work. If you look at my poster it looks like it is straight from the 50's era. It has low saturation, big bold plain text, a black and white picture of Alec Guinness looking as slick as ever (and he fits the perfect image of a cult leader). In fact he almost reminds me of Elron Hubbard. The poster is clean cut and extra nice. Which is exactly how I wanted it. Too nice. It looks so nice that you know there's something not quite right; it has a sense of eeriness to it. It's bittersweet. Because who wouldn't trust a man with a halo around the back of his head? With this pre-campaign I have a list of crossed out names and motto's that would be plastered on my would-be posters. "We will give you everything you desire" sounded like the most questionable of the lot. If I did go through with this project I think it would've turned out well in the end. I also think I would've enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment