Wednesday 16 June 2010

Background for Poster 2 (of 5) Face of Horror



The face background was actually my first background idea to create with charcoal. I wanted to have this crinkled, old, saggy eyed, ugly face filling the screen full of character but lacking in life. I wanted it to represent fear that much that it would give a feeling of coldness at a mere glimpse. What I thought would be more effective would be to have this face expressing fear and bleakness. Not a face full of wrath and hate. He's not evil. The face you see is not a villain. He is a victim. To create the face I used thick charcoal to create the deep shadows in the face and the blackness in the background and to create the eyes and the whole right side of the face. After outlining this and creating the shadows and skin tone and going deeper into the details I'd use a thinner piece to make the intricate details and to create the facial expression. I used a white chalk pencil to put glow and depth into the darker parts and to show the bony parts that needed to be visible in the shadows of the face and the darker side.

No comments:

Post a Comment